The Burn Booking Terms & Conditions
The following terms and conditions are applicable to all bookings.
a. Service Description. The Burn offers three levels of hospitality service covering a 24 hour period. Each level of service is charged at a different daily rate and can start at any time. Part days can also be booked without accommodation but will attract a facility hire charge based on the number of rooms and the duration of occupancy. Service levels are described below.
- Full-Board. Accommodation (single and shared rooms) plus breakfast, morning coffee, luncheon, afternoon tea & cake and a 2 course dinner. Meals are prepared at set times to a set menu to meet booking requirements. All dietary requirements can be satisfied.
- Half-Board. Accommodation (as above) plus breakfast and dinner.
- Bed & Breakfast. Accommodation plus breakfast.
b. Charges. The rate charged is governed by a customer’s status as follows:
• Standard Rate. This is the full commercial rate for using The Burn.
• Member Rate. This is The Burn’s lowest rate and is offered to current students and staff of one of the following subscribing institutions:
– University of Aberdeen
– Robert Gordon University
– University of Dundee
– Abertay University
– University of St Andrews
– University of Edinburgh
– Edinburgh Napier University
– University of Glasgow
– University of Strathclyde
– Goodenough College
• Associate Rate. A discounted rate offered to alumni of subscribing universities and customers with a long-standing relationship with The Burn.
c. Amenities. There are no extra charges for the amenities listed below.
• Bedrooms. Most rooms are not en suite but bathrooms are conveniently close. Guests can expect:
– Room key
– Hand soap
– Refreshments (Tea/Coffee)
– Wash Hand Basin
– Hair dryer
• Public Rooms.
– Open fire (Drawing Room)
– Books & magazines
– TV (Library)
– Board Games
– Conference equipment, including: projectors, screens, whiteboards, flipcharts, and laptops.
• Garden & Grounds.
– Tennis (hard court)
– Putting green
– Fishing (permits can be purchased to fish for salmon in the River North Esk)
d. Booking and Cancellation Policy. All group and event bookings are confirmed in writing (email) and secured with a deposit payment of approximately 25% of the full cost. Deposits are non-refundable. The Burn operates a sliding scale of cancellation charges as follows:
Serial Time of Cancellation Cost of Cancellation
1. Within 6 months of the event. 50% of the quoted cost.
2. Within 5 months of the event. 60% of the quoted cost.
3. Within 4 months of the event. 70% of the quoted cost.
4. Within 3 months of the event. 80% of the quoted cost.
5. Within 2 months of the event. 90% of the quoted cost
6. Within 1 month of the event. 100% of the quoted cost.
e. Group Bookings.
• Exclusive Use. Exclusive is normally granted to groups of 25 and over. Groups of less than 25 can secure exclusive use with a minimum payment of £1,800.00 (including VAT) per day for Members groups, £2,100 per day for Associate groups and £2,400 per day for all other groups.
• Booking Amendments. The service provided by The Burn is based on booking form information. Whilst it is appreciated that guest numbers may fluctuate, The Burn requires final numbers to be confirmed at least one calendar month before the arrival date. If no confirmation is sent then The Burn would base its charges on information presented in the booking form.
• Arrival and Departure. All timings are governed by customer requirements but must be agreed by The Burn as part of the booking process. Where two groups arrive and depart on the same day, priority will be given to the departing group before 2 pm and then switch to the incoming group after 2 pm. Guests are requested to vacate bedrooms by 10 am on the day of departure. Luggage can be stored on the ground floor.
• Room Allocation. The Burn expects group members to share bedrooms. However, every effort will be made to provide single rooms for academic staff and faculty members. This objective becomes more difficult to achieve when a group exceeds 36 or when there is a high proportion of staff within a group.
• Single Room Rates. The Burn charges a single room supplement which is governed by the accommodation rate, i.e. Member, Associate or Standard. The supplement would increase if all accommodation is booked on a single occupancy basis.
f. Weddings & Celebrations. In addition to the general business terms and conditions set out above, the following specific terms apply to non-academic events such as weddings and celebrations.
• Service Provider. In meeting its business requirements on a commercial footing, The Burn might trade as Goodenough Ventures Ltd, the commercial arm of Goodenough College. This is simply a means of differentiating between charitable and commercial business and does not impact on the standard of service provided by The Burn.
• Payment. Pre-payment is likely to be requested for all fixed and known costs. Payment for variable charges such as corkage would be requested after the event. All invoices should be settled within the specified timeframe and late payments – invoices that are not settled by the due date – would attract an overdue payment charge of 2% of the outstanding sum.
• Limitation of Liability. If deemed to be appropriate, The Burn can refund or cancel charges but under no circumstances is The Burn liable for any indirect, special or consequential loss or damage, expenses or other claims for compensation.
• Alcohol. The Burn operates a licenced bar that is subject to the operating terms and conditions issued by Aberdeenshire Council. This licence does not support the consumption of uncontrolled alcohol and guests are not permitted to consume their own alcohol in the public areas of Burn House. The Burn operates a variable corkage charge for wines and spirits that are not purchased through The Burn. The corkage charge for wine stands at £6.00 and a bottle of spirit would be charged at £20.00.
• Smoking. The Burn operates a no smoking policy within the house and this policy extends to any temporary structures, such as marquees.
• Animals. Guests are discouraged from bringing pets but exceptions can be made in specific circumstances. This policy does not apply to working dogs.
• Damage. Charges will be raised for any damage that is judged to be beyond normal wear and tear. That said, The Burn fully accepts that accidents do happen. The Burn holds public liability insurance.